Friday, May 23, 2008

Culture Shock: Part 1

Funny how the little things that are different about a new location can creep up on you. For instance, I went to Lowe's yesterday, and for a while, didn't know if I was ever going to make it back out. Get this! The layout at Lowe's is completely opposite to the layout at the stores in California. Why? Is it because it's the East Coast, so they flipped it? It's lawn and garden on the right, tools and lumber on the left, people! I spun around in circles for an hour.

If you're in Los Angeles, you are going to freak out at this next part. The cans of spray paint...are just out there in the open! Unlocked! They're not in a cage, and you don't have to get an employee to help you! If you're not in Los Angeles, let me explain. Even the spray glitter at the craft store is behind a big iron gate, and you have to explain to an employee just what you plan to do with the spray glitter once you have it! But here, it's all out in the open! I can gather up all the cans of paint and glitter I want and throw them to the starving masses like they're loaves of bread.

Next on the list is movie theaters. We went to see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull last night. I haven't been to a normal movie theater in years. In L.A., we always went to Arclight, where you get reserved and comfy seats, lots of legroom, no commercials, movie introductions by ushers, and most importantly, a bar. Maybe it was because the movie was showing on 10 of their 12 screens last night, but we somehow got the smallest movie screen in the world. And commercials. Lots of commercials. But I have to give props to the audience. Well-behaved and respectful, they even stayed for the credits, which is a hallmark of serious moviegoers. So kudos to Asheville movie fans! I'm just going to miss my assigned seat and my cosmo. Luckily, I'm still on the Arclight mailing list, so I can live vicariously through the weekly newsletter.

I'm off to Home Depot and a few comic book stores today, so we'll see what other cultural differences are in store. Maybe Asheville's Superman is a villain instead of a hero! I will let you know.

No comments: