Saturday, June 20, 2009

Right Back Where I Started From

It all happened very fast. It took less than two weeks total, and here I am. Back in Los Angeles. Back at work. It was a difficult decision, fraught with emotional pitfalls and uncharted territory. In the end, practicality won out. Let's face it. Despite my obvious brilliance, I don't get many job offers, so I couldn't really turn this one down. Three to six months. Which doesn't sound too long, really.

Plus, it will be interesting to experience the other side of the story now. I left Los Angeles, moved to Asheville. Now what? Have I changed? Writers have always written about their locations and attributed great power to sense of place and environment. Did I take a bit of Los Angeles to Asheville? And now, will I bring a bit of Asheville here?

In a stroke of universal synchronicity, it was 15 years ago this month...this week, actually...that I first moved to L.A. Miraculously, I only aged 5 years in all that time, but my circumstances have changed considerably since I showed up here, so happy to have finally made it to the promised land. So all the elements are in place for a surprisingly layered homecoming. Yet...

If home is indeed where the heart is, then I am, in all regards, homeless, because Michael's not here. We've actually never been separated for more than a few days at a time. That's the hardest part. And whenever I allow myself to think about it for very long, this whole thing just seems crazy. So I can't let myself think about it. There's work to keep me occupied and lots to do in Los Angeles. And friends to see. And comic cons to plan and attend. And blog posts to write. Time will undoubtedly fly by, as it always does.

Now, to celebrate my return, I'm going to Leonor's Vegetarian Restaurant in the ShOaks for my favorite fake pizza. It's completely vegan, and I have no idea what's in it or how they do it, but it's delicious!

2 comments:

DeAnn said...

I am sure you made Asheville a better place. Ironically, I am going home this Wednesday for a week.. and yes, I will miss Orange Co. It will be interesting to visit Asheville and my friends and family cause God knows.. good friends are hard to come by out here for me being from Asheville.. But, I am glad you are back because I know at least one person on my end of the world (even though we have nver met) knows something about where I came from. Welcome Back! and enjoy!

tony said...

and now video chat via iChat or Skype will become the most important necessity in your life. it can be frustrating at times, but it's a tool you can't live without. trust me. i know.

let me know if you can fit me in for dinner in the next 3 to 6 months. michael made me promise i'd look after you.